Monday, May 26, 2008

Location update

Location update

After I was moved out of ICU, I was transferred to a neurology unit, Tower 709 in Baptist Medical Center. Visiting hours are from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. There is no limitation on visitors as long as we’re not having any raucous parties. People are certainly welcome to stop by and visit if they’re able.

Since it’s a holiday weekend there’s still a lot up in the air about future treatment plans and about whether I’ll be pursuing rehab in the hospital or will be discharged to a rehab facility for rehabilitation for the paralysis. When physical rehab arrived this morning in the persons of Elizabeth and Elizabeth, one of them was of the impression I hadn’t been out of bed yet at all and was clearly ready to kick some ass. When I explained that I had been out of bed the previous day and had walked a few steps she put the cattle prod away and we had another PT session where the chair was simply placed farther from the bed than it had been the day before. With the aide of the walker and their support I was able to walk about 4 feet out of the bed and 3 feet back into the chair, where I’ve now been resting for about three hours. Luckily, to get people back into bed they have a piece of equipment called a patient mover where they just gather you up like a fish in the net and then swing you back into the bed.

Probably the next few days will reveal a lot about future treatment plans and I’ll give updates on that as it occurs. I do have a beautiful view of downtown Jacksonsville, so the room is pleasant and comfortable. Hospital food is as one expects.

I know that many people have started subscribing the blog, as I’ve been receiving many, many comments. And while I’m unable to respond to any of them individually at this time, I’m very grateful for the signs of love and support that people are making. I’m able to receive them on my Blackberry without any difficulty, so, please, keep the comments coming. They’re a source of strength to me.

Since my initial bout with melanoma two years ago, one thing I discovered very strongly about health care in the United States is that while we may have the best health care available, each person absolutely needs to be their own health advocate. If you haven’t had a physical exam recently, if you haven’t been to a dermatologist for a standard skin check, if you have some ache or pain that you’ve been putting off finding out about, stop putting it off. See a doctor for your own peace of mind and so you can understand exactly what is going on in your own body. Had I not done that over the past several years, the situation I’m dealing with right now, as trying as it is now, could be worse. You owe it to yourself and to your families to take care of yourselves as best you can. If you have questions about advice your physicians are offering you, challenge it. If you don’t feel you’re getting the care from a physician that is appropriate, change your physician. The Web can be a wonderful place for information, but it can also be a very dangerous place for information. Be sure the information you’re reading is appropriate and vetted and current.

You will only receive updates from the time you subscribe to the blog, and there may be previous updates you’ve not yet viewed; if you want to review previous blog entries, please visit barryw.blogspot.com, where entries appear from newest to oldest. Feel free to share this information with anyone I may have overlooked or for whom I didn’t have an e-mail address.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry, I do hate to hear you are having so many health issues at this time. You will be in my prayers during recovery and during the time of planning the best treatment. I did chuckle when you spoke about the wheel chair and taking a few steps. My husband, Jerry, had 5 by-passes in 99 at STH. The rehab nurse came to get him with a wheel chair, and yep, Jerry thought he was going to ride. Was he surprised when the nurse told him, Oh No, you get behind and push and walk. It brought back old memories. Hang in there and keep your faith. I'll say a 'special' prayer for you starting today. LOL Gayle

Anonymous said...

Barry, no wonder you have been on my mind so much this past week. You and Rick will be in our prayers and your name has been called into the temple. You are such a fighter, you will beat this one too!!! Keep up the good work, criley.

Anonymous said...

Barry - Thanks for callimg me this afternoon and updating me about your current challenges. I passed the information along to Kim and Ganesh. You know that all of us are thinking about you, and looking forward to your full and speedy recovery. Until then, best wishes to you and Rick. John Rosen.

Anonymous said...

Dear Barry, It was difficult to hear of your health issues from Jim P. today. Thanks for keeping all of us updated, you know how much we like to worry. Teresa and I are prarying for you and will continue to keep you in our prayers for a quick and thorough recovery and Rick, that he may continue to be strong for both of you. Be stronbg my friend.

Bob A.

Anonymous said...

Barry, just wanted to let you know I am thinking and praying for you, of course I have always been praying for you, just for other reasons now...glad to hear you are up walking around, even if only a few steps, I was wondering if you wanted us to send you a basket and bell to put on your walker? You would be the envy of rehab..I will enjoy reading your blog until you return back to work and we can blog in person over lunch.
Clarice

Scott said...

Barry,

You and Rick our in our thoughts and prayers. As you do with everything else in your life, work diligently and keep fighting until you beat this thing. We all know you will. Take care and stay strong.

Scott Culiver

Anonymous said...

Berry, I am so sorry that you have to deal with all of this. I will be praying for you...

Anonymous said...

Barry,
Thank you for your openness in sharing your journey. You certainly are not alone on this trip. I am glad that we have this blog to chat with you.I will think of you daily, sending you warm thoughts and prayers.
Your advice to all of us is so true, healthcare providers, parents, or partners we tend ot take care of others before we care for ourselves. I will head your advice personally.
Are you getting your daily dose of humor? I am sure that your quick wit is keeping the nurses, therapists and anyone else that walks in your room in stitches.
Some hospitals will allow pet visitation-check it out, I'm sure your beloved beagle is missing you.
LOL JJF