Thursday, May 29, 2008

An update from Barry

I’ve completed three of my 12 radiation treatments, and those are being very easy to do. Of course there’s the transport over to the oncology units. The chemotherapy will most likely start tonight, and it’s likely I will experience nausea and loss of hair, but since I don’ t have much hair to start with, that doesn’t bother me in the least. The doctors are still trying to determine what the best rehab and treatment options are, and the social workers are continuing to work on that. The local support of friends has just been astonishing; the remote support from people calling and e-mailing and sending flowers has just been overwhelming and very much appreciated. And I appreciate all the love that people have been sending – it does strengthen me and help keep me focused as to what may be coming ahead. Calls are welcome at any time and e-mails are welcome and comments to the blog are most welcome also. I hope the blog is helping people stay informed. If you want to pass that address on, you are more than welcome to do that.

I actually had a little more appetite today and was able to eat more of lunch and dinner than I had been able to but still am having difficulty with voiding, which is something they’re investigating. I had bladder and kidney scans this morning to assess function, but it’s been indicated to me that in a spinal injury those are some of the last functions to return. So everything seems to be progressing as expected.

I truly don’t know when I’ll be leaving here, but as soon as I know, that will posted on the blog immediately so people will know what facility I’m at. The nursing staff is doing an excellent job of keeping the pain under control so that I’m able to rest comfortably, and I’m able to sleep in the evenings. I’m trying to keep my spirits up as much as possible. There are, of course, down moments as I contemplate the future, but I’m just trying to contemplate all the possibilities and be realistic about what may lie ahead.

When the melanoma first appeared two years ago I did a very serious assessment of my life and how I felt. I did make some definite changes in my life in terms of work/life balance and enjoying life more, and that’s going to be a continued focus throughout this journey. If my oncologist indicates that once treatment starts it may be possible for me to live somewhat of a normal life for whatever time I have remaining, whether it’s a year or five years or however long, It’s my full intent to do that. If I’m able to travel again, I will, and if not then I will enjoy life in Jacksonsville and just live life to its fullest. There’s a real balance that needs to be struck . Too many people put off enjoying life until retirement – you can’t do that. You have to enjoy life when you can. So that’s what Rick and I are going to do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry,
I don't think they are giving you pain killers because they think you are in pain. They do it so that you won't tell them what is wrong with their supply chain! When you get out of there and start enjoying your life, you need to visit the Satute of Library and move your name from the S's to the W's. After that you can come to Mobile and tell us about your new adventures. I'm praying for you!

Ann

Anonymous said...

Dear Barry,
I so admire your courage!
I wish I could come give ya a Big Hug right now..... or bring you some comfort food or go water your garden (Huh! maybe not, I do not have a green thumb:-)
Please stay positive, you are helping all of us as well!!!!
XOXOXOX
Your Friend, Cindy

Anonymous said...

The news today was tough to take. Barry is courageous and realistic. We are taking this one day at a time. I will visit one of the rehab centers tomorrow to determine if it offers what Barry needs to recover his mobility. The center we choose must be able to offer transportation to and from his radiation treatments. As of today, he is scheduled for nine more treatments. He begins his chemo tonight. Thank you everyone for your outpouring of love and support. Rick

Unknown said...

Barry
Send some of those painkillers my way. It hurts my heart to know that the always smiling, always supportive person that you are has to experience this.

You are a bright and shining example of the best gifts that a friend brings into our lives.

Try to stay positive and know that you have many friends that are praying for you and Rick and know its OK to have bad days. It makes the good ones more memorable.

Wilma

Anonymous said...

Barry
I think the hospital you are in still has MS4, but you probably wouldn't recognize it. I have always admired your drive in what ever you do. I bet most people would agree with me. Your spirit and persistence will get you through this. They miss you at the airport!
Take one day at a time and remember we are all pulling for you.
Scott