Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Radiation treatments

This morning at 8:30 a.m. I was taken from my room to start targeted radiation on the thoracic spine. As the radiation oncology treatments take place in a completely different building, I was transported by ambulance. Since this was the first occurrence of the radiation treatments, they took about four hours to do the initial setup and check measurements. This was a one-time setup and the radiation therapy itself took only ten to fifteen minutes. Subsequent treatments should be easier. Today's process was exhausting.

After the treatments were complete I was returned to my room at the hospital. Physical Therapy showed up around 4:00. PT (pain and torture) was not as successful as it was the previous day. I was very wiped out from this. Because the radiation should be significantly easier on subsequent days, I hope the PT will go more easily in the future.

The treatment plan for rehab is yet to be determined but I expect that will be fleshed out in the next day or so. Pain management is a prime concern so that I am able to rest appropriately.

I am getting comments and well wishes from all over the world and am very grateful for those. People have been more than willing to make any of their contacts available to me that might assist in this journey. Those contacts are greatly appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Mr. Hoffman know what's going on?

Anonymous said...

Barry was disappointed with his PT session yesterday. I wasn't. I was proud of him! He spent all morning and early afternoon lying on a stretcher at the cancer center. His back muscles were stiff so sitting up was painful for him. He is to practice rolling over on his side to sit upright at the edge of the bed. Barry will do it. He's my rock!

Rick