Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Being prepared

Before I started any foreign travel, I made sure all my legal documents were in place – my will, my powers of attorney, my living will. Before Rick and I did any foreign travel, we had all of our legal documents revised to include both of our wills, living wills, durable powers of attorney, and health care surrogate documents. I know that these are often topics that people don’t discuss or that they put off. I would encourage you, if you don’t have these legal documents in place, to consider taking care of that for your family’s peace of mind and for your own. There are now software packages, web sites, and of course attorneys that are more than happy to take care of these items for you. What may be required can vary from state to state and that’s always appropriate to investigate also.

I know that many people when they started sending emails in response to my blog have indicated that they have scheduled physician appointments that they had been putting off or that they had been reviewing their workload or their family time - and that’s certainly appropriate. But please make sure that you and your family are protected legally.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, once again, good advice. Cathy Riley and I were just talking about the need to have a will earlier today. Dave and I seem to put it off and off and off. You are right, doing a will and organizing our futures is probably as important as having our yearly physicals, dental work, and eye exams...and I never miss those!

I loved the reminder about the food in New Orleans. The doctor I was working for in the late 70s
sent me there as a new member of the American Association of Medical Assistants. He had been their physician sponsor at one time so wanted me involved. That was my first ever flying trip other than one I had in a little 2-seater in my as youth. It was amazing and we ate at Brennan's, too. I had never before seen anything like Banana's Foster. It was something for me, a small town girl who was a single parent, to get to do something that special. Your blog is reminding me of many things I haven't thought of for years.

The views you have on life are ones that I, too, share. Unfortunately, sometimes I know I let work get in the way of life. Things to ponder, for sure.

It's good that your treatments have gone well. I pray that the miracle occurs for you.

Bless you, and Jim, my friend.

Love,

Nan'r