Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Oncologist appointment today

We did meet with my oncologist today. He is confident that my last round of chemo was successful. I will be starting another round of oral chemo this evening. The first two rounds had no adverse side effects and we anticipate that with the third round starting tonight.

This does not change the statistical prognosis of nine to twelve months that I received two months ago. We realize that this is just the statistical prognosis and hope that there will be more time than that.

Rick and I all along have indicated that quality, not quantity of life is what is important to us. We realize that there are always miracles and we do continue to pray for them as you do. But our outlook has always been to look at the statistical but pray for a miracle.

I continue to feel great. Our days are full of therapy, appointments, visitors, and time to ourselves. So we are making the most of every day as we hope you are.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry, it is always so good to be with you as was yesterday--talking about trips and what fun we have all had.
--you have
such dignity and class. Quality is always so important and you and Rick are quality people. I love you
both and hold you dear in my heart.
love Doris

Anonymous said...

Hi, B and R. What a wonderful time we had yesterday re-living--in great detail--our trip to Greece. Twelve years ago, and we can still taste the breakfast of peaches, olives, feta, and yogurt! Barry, your gardens are a spectacle. I know that for you, like for me, the gardens are a cathedral, a place which brings the deepest satisfaction and pleasure. Rick, I remind you that I am an available extra hand, should you either need one. Love, Betsy

Anonymous said...

Barry, you are amazing!!! Wonderful recall of family stories and fun with friends. I look forward to each new entry and progress with your treatments. Your attitude is outstanding and an inspiration to so many. Keep makin' lemonade!

You and Rick are in my prayers.

Chall (Pensacola)

Anonymous said...

Barry,
Please keep the faith and know that there are so many firends and family thinking of you each day. We all hold you in our hearts, our prayers, and wish you all the healing, strength, and support that you so deserve.
You are always so positive, and how you find time to communicate to us with all your doctor appointments, procedures, etc. tells me what an amazing guy you are. You are a true inspiration to all of us.
We all need to remember that each day is a gift to be cherished. I see this in your writings.
With true respect - Gayle

Anonymous said...

Barry,

I just heard from Jana, Alex, and John letting me know that you are fighting melanoma. I've been able to spend some time reading your blog this weekend, and am very much touched by your amazing spirit and wonderful outlook. You and Rick are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm grateful to have had the opportunity and privilege to have worked with you! You are a very special person.

Tricia Creel