Saturday, July 5, 2008

Good Friends and Neighbors

Our good friends Chuck and Ron have been so helpful to us. They live down the street and helped Rick get the house ready today. The day I went to my appointment with my surgeon when this all started, they had secured a wheelchair for us to use with very little notice. They have been regular visitors at Heartlands, have hosted Rick on several occasions for meals and have been a big help to us in many ways. We have been blessed with all of our wonderful friends, but neighbors that are also friends are a little different and very special.

Chuck walks their dogs frequently and has been keeping the neighbors updated on my progress. When he mentioned all the people that had been inquiring about me, I was surprised. It will be good to be able to greet them as Rick and I sit on the porch or as I attempt to pull weeds with a "grabber" from my wheelchair from the sidewalk. I won't be able to do most of the gardening I used to, but I'll do what I can.

Chuck and Ron are gracious hosts and excellent cooks and have a home perfect for entertaining. Rick is there as I type this enjoying dinner with them tonight. While I love to cook, I never seem to be able to carry off a dinner party with the ease they seem to come by naturally.

We still laugh (thank God) about an incident that took place at a dinner they hosted a number of years ago. The table was elegantly set with beautiful china and Waterford. Somehow, as I set down my wine glass, it wobbled and started to fall. We've all had those slow motion moments where we couldn't stop a thing. The wine glass fell on it's side and didn't break. The bread plate did instead. After a moment of stunned silence, they both burst out laughing. "It's only a plate. We've got more". What classy guys.

Of course, it was family china, a German manufacturer called Hutschenreuther where even www.replacements.com doesn't have a match to their pattern and they have over 286,000 china patterns on file. Check them out if you need a few any pieces to fill out your china, silver or crystal.

Chuck and Ron, Rick and I thank you for your continued friendship and support.

--
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: