Thursday, July 24, 2008

Concerts when I was young

I went to a number of concerts in Baltimore when I was in my teens. Many may be surprised to find I went to several concerts by Johnny and June Carter Cash, the Carter Family and Mother Maybelle Carter. These were at the Painters Mills Music Fair, an in the round musical venue in Owings Mills. A good friend of mine was a country music fan and we attended these together. I enjoyed these more than I thought I would.

At the Merriweather Post Pavilion, an outdoor concert venue in Columbia, Maryland, a number of friends went to several Linda Ronstadt concerts when we were in college. Her concerts were excellent. Her voice was amazing. Unfortunately, we were always pretty far away and had difficulty seeing her. We would take picnic dinners and make an evening of it.

One time, my friend Betsy invited me to a concert at Merriweather Post Pavilion and I thought she said it was going to be James Brown. I said ok, we got there and I was pleasantly surprised to find it was Jackson Browne instead. He was still recording "Running on Empty" and the cut of "Stay" on that album was recorded the night we were there. Every time I hear that cut, I like to think that Betsy and I are singing our hearts out on it.


--
Sent via Empower HTML Mail Viewer For BlackBerry
http://www.mobylo.com/emv/

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barry, Thinking of you today!Yes, huge difference between "ain't it funky now" and "running on empty." I prefer Jackson over James too. I hope your weekend holds some wonderful memories and new beginnings! Robin

Anonymous said...

Hi Barry, I'm thinking of you today. I don't know if I ever told you this before, but I love music. I think I may have told you way back when we were working at Mid-Maine Medical Center. We were at dinner one night -- you, me, and J.C. I really enjoy all kinds of music. I listen to Johnny Cash and enjoy his music. I remember my mom watching the Johnny Cash Show, and I love Jackson Browne! Music has a way of taking us back to places we haven't been in a while. It is so powerful and moving.

I hope you are having a good day today. You are always in my thoughts.

Love,

Maddie