Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hallowe’en now and then

When we were kids we would go up and down the street collecting candy in brown paper bags. We were dressed in various costumes but there were two that we always tried to use that were made by grandmother years ago. One was a bum and one was a devil costume. They were used by our uncles and Mom and if we could use them we would.

When we got back to the house we would dump out all of our candy and we would re-choose it after Mom and Dad took out all the unsafe candy. We were allowed to have one piece a day until the candy disappeared – which often took until Thanksgiving. Our candy lasted quite a long time.

Halloween in Jacksonville involves buying quite a bit of candy because we get a lot of trick-or-treaters. We try to be generous with the trick-or-treaters and usually the candy will last all night. We’ll get anywhere from 75 to 100 trick-or-treaters which we feel is quite a few. Luckily when we run out they are pretty understanding.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised you get so many trick or treaters these days. I have had zero for several years--parents afraid for their children's safety take them to planned events (or to your house!). You two are very generous guys.I love you both.
Betsy G.

Anonymous said...

I remember as kid trick or treating with a brown bag. Well, later in the night the dew from the grass got the bottom of the bag wet and before I knew it there was a hole. Even though I was young and supposed to know everything, I didn't realize that half my candy was gone, especially the apple that someone tossed in. That was another thing, no kid wanted an apple to weight down your bag. Today I always want to be home to see all of the kids even tough there are fewer and fewer each year.
Scott A.

Anonymous said...

I have just been called that a beautiful and sharing light has gone out. Barry shared his life to the very last and that ready smile with be long remembered. We feel fortunate to have known and laughed with Barry.
George and Jacque

Anonymous said...

You have been an inspiration to all of us Barry and I feel very fortunate to know that I have a guardian angel such as you to watch over me. I will never forget you and know you are at peace. Love you Barry!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the BLOG- it's been fabulous to share some personal memories with him recently. Barry has been a great friend and co-worker. My thoughts are with Barry and all of us who'll miss him.

Lorie Reimer