Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cafeteria food

When you traveled as much as I did for work, you ate a lot of hospital cafeteria food. It was always interesting to me to see what each had to offer and sometimes the food was quite good. When I first started traveling to St. Vincent's Jacksonville, the food was amazing. I remember ordering blueberry pancakes one morning and was asked how many I wanted. Thinking they would be the size you make at home, I said three. Turns out the pancakes were huge. I left it at one.

Providence Hospital in Mobile, Al makes a mean fried chicken. It's as good as any you would get anywhere else

One time at Good Samaritan in Pottsville there was a item I had not seen before. When I was told it was a dumpling filled with potato filling in butter and onions I thought, well, that sounds interesting. I was about to have my first pierogie. It was not my last.

Seton Medical Center, Austin, Tx, introduced me to the best breakfast burritos I'd ever had. Someone would set up a cart outside the office building where Purchasing was located. If they were gone when I arrived in the morning it would be a disappointing day.

St. Vincent's in Birmingham celebrated National Pickle week one time with a pickle bar. I love pickles and was very surprised to find watermelon pickles included in the selection.

I was at Providence Hospital, Washington, D.C. and was pleased to find they actually had scrapple for breakfast and well as old fashioned pork sausage. They also make a heck of a cheese steak.

I know that my very favorite hospital cafeteria food was from Columbia-St. Mary's in Milwaukee. I'm ashamed to admit I would even check before a trip there to find out if it was the right food cycle week to be able to have "Tater Tot Casserole". A basic ground beef, cheese, tater tots, onion, cream of mushroom soup mixture topped with more tater tots crisped on top. Yum. I miss it already.

--

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barry, don't forget the bread pudding at Mobile!

Maddie