Thursday, June 12, 2008

Oh my God, it happened again

A number of years ago, Tracy and Mark, both of whom I have known since second grade, Jim, whom I have known since twelfth grade and myself were having lunch at the Phoenix in Ellicott City. Tracy and Jim had never had any issues with weight. On the other hand, Mark and I have often struggled with it during our adult lives. I had been working hard at trying to lose weight and made a comment at lunch that I had finally gotten below that magic number. Mark looked at me as if he knew exactly what I was talking about. Tracy and Jim on the other hand had no clue what I meant. When I explained that the magic mark was 200 pounds, the looks on their faces were priceless. I think Tracy may have been just the tiniest bit more aghast than Jim. We had a big laugh about it but here’s where the “it’s happened again” comes in. On the way to therapy today they put me into a seated scale and now, for the first time in more years than I can recall, I am once again below 200 pounds. The official weight is 197.4. I’m not happy about how I have lost the weight but I am not surprised that I have started losing some.

2 comments:

JimD said...

Well kiddo, as you know I pretty much haven't stopped eating since I was in the hospital last November. I haven't weighed myself in a while but based on my last visit to the scale, the odds seem good that I might outweigh you now. If I have reached the magic number, though, I'm not going to admit it to anyone - at least not yet!

Anonymous said...

OK, Barry... Jim connected me with the blog today. You could have at least mentioned that your friend Mark is 6'3" and is big boned! (LOL) I am taking a different path on the way to get down to the magic number....Having just arrived for a two year assignment in Kabul, Afghanistan I hope to be at the Magic Number in a couple of months....unless I discover that the only entertainment available is eating.

Stay slender and healthy!