Monday, June 2, 2008

First snafus

One of the reasons Rick and I selected this facility was that I would be able to continue the radiation therapy while taking the physical therapy. That all seemed to fall apart this afternon when first my radiation therapy session was postponed and then had to be canceled because the transportation issues had not yet bene resolved. Hopefully that will be resolved tomorrow and we'll be able to get back to the regular radiation therapy sessions.

I had a number of wonderful visitors this afternoon. Wendy was able to bring one of her golden retrievers with her who was very well behaved and very well received by people at the facility. Dogs just seem to have an innate sense when someone is feeling unwell. Cleo was most attentive and it was a pleasure to see her.

I had a few surprise phone calls today. I spoke to one of my stepfather's sisters, Naomi. It seems forever since the last time we had spoken. We had a great conversation reminiscing about Grandmom and Pap Pap Schuhart.

Otherwise I am still resting comfortably. I am finally starting to get into the
Laura Lippman books about Baltimore that I am very much looking forward to reading as they seem to be full of references to places that I remember quite well.

I did have a secondary physical therapy session this afternoon - namely leg exercises in the room but the therapist, Tai (named after Tai Babylonia) continues to seem encouraged.

Rick and Wendy brought over a few items to make it a bit more comfortable for visitors including some fold-up chairs that store in my closet, and visitors are of course welcomed at any time.

I continue to thank you all so much for your emails and blog comments. Nothing literally makes me happier than when I glance at my Blackberry and I see that there are messages there for me to read.

5 comments:

Marcia Silverberg said...

Hi, Barry! I've been thinking about you ever since Sue shared with us your latest turn of events. I so admire your spirit.

I'm remembering some of the fun (and food!) we had in San Francisco and on other Symphony-related travels.

I'm hoping your new rehab home-away-from-home turns out to be a positive environment for you. Sounds like you're surrounded by love and laughter. I'm so glad your beloved pets can visit you.

Maybe you'd find the soundtrack from Hairspray will bring back more Baltimore memories??

Sending you fond wishes, prayers and positive thoughts....

Marcia Silverberg

Anonymous said...

Lots of buzz over this hot-shot programmer coming from DCNHS-E to the DCNHS-EC. I'm thinking the guy doesn't even use a real computer (S/36 or on a good day a S/38). As fate would have it I was lucky enough to work with you for a few years and I soon realized how you got your reputation(pretty smart). Of course I felt obligated to teach you a thing or two and you was good enough to oblige me...all the while with that great smile that got you out of a lot of hot water. Continue to be a warrior and whip this. Pulling for you always! "Z"
p.s.
I concur you need to work on them legs every chance you get.

Anonymous said...

Barry;,

Your PT sounds most positive and we are sure hoping it works quickly for you. Then you can walk about the facility and out towards home.

George and I will see you one afternoon this week. Take care of you

Just Us

Anonymous said...

Hi Barry,

This is Jeff Burgio, Ivana sent me this link. I am keeping you in my prayers everyday. Everytime I can't do something on this blasted Peoplesoft I think of you and your wonderful MS4. Get well and stay positive.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Hi Barry - just checking in to say that I'm thinking about you. I talked to Aunt Noami and she was so excited that she got a chance to talk to you today. She is such a hoot - isn't she. Amber and I are going down to see her on the 14of this month. I'm so looking forward to it - because she keeps me laughing the whole time with all her stories.

Work has been busy - but I am full - all 114 beds - really cool. Maybe I can finally get my bonus this month. We have come a long way since I started with this company. I designed their brochures and had them made for them, along with all their giveaways that I had designed for them. I've been doing alot of advertising in the local newspapers and senior magazines. So our name is getting out there finally and people are starting to know and appreciate us as one of the best Nursing and Rehab. Centers in our area. And of course, with my smiling face doing the clinical liaison portion and meeting and greeting the families -how can we ever go wrong. HeeHee! Made you laugh didn't I.

Keep working hard so you can get out of there and get back home again o.k. I know you can do it -You are a very strong person and a great brother. I love you and I will write again tomorrow. Love, Tina