Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Statue of Liberty

One thing that I am finding of particular interest in all of this is some people are actually providing me with suggestions of stories to post. One such request came in today and so I figured I’d take the opportunity to relay this funny story.

Years ago, when the Statue of Liberty was being restored, Lee Iacocca sent out contributions requests and I made a modest contribution. As you would expect, a certificate (suitable for framing) arrived in the mail. Throughout my life people have either spelled or pronounced my last name incorrectly – including many college professors which I don’t quite understand. When I opened the certificate, I was shocked to discover that whoever recorded my contribution let their finger slip off the W in Whiteley and of course left out an E, and my certificate proudly stated, “Here let it be known, that Barry J. Shitley….” Imagine my horror. I figured this needed some immediate attention so I sat down and wrote Mr. Iacocca a letter. After the appropriate introductions the basic content of the letter was,

Dear Mr. Iacocca,
My name is not, nor has it ever been Shitley. I would like to request an immediate correction to this obvious error. Sincerely yours….

P.S. I’m grateful my name is not Whitehead.

Years later upon visiting the Statue of Liberty I looked it up just to be sure and sure enough, it had been corrected.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my all time favorite Barry stories! The other, which you need to tell, is the bathrooms in China.

Ann in Mobile

Anonymous said...

This is a great story. It reminded me of the Tuscon Omnibuyer go live. One of the facilities is Holy Cross in Nogales, Supply Chain's 6 letter code for the facility is NOGHOL. Barry commented that it was a good thing we did not have a Holy Cross facility in Ashville (as the code would be ASHHOL).

Anonymous said...

I remember that story! Thinking of names, I guess parents could not have foreseen how company email addresses would manipulate a name. Our system uses your first initial and your last name. They could not have known that little Andrew would one day be forced to send coworkers emails from "aholle@.....". Or that little Sherri would become "slutz@....."

I have come across some interesting names in my line of work. These are names of toddlers I have known. The twins Mavelin and Javelin, twins Seymour and Seyless (not even kidding) and my favorite, Chukawukaadibia.

By the way, I accidentally stumbled upon another blog called "Barry's Journey". This Barry is a woman who was in a serious car accident. The blog's posts ended when she went home from the hospital, found myself wishing her a speedy recovery too.

So continue to get stronger each day, Mr. Shitley.