Thursday, June 12, 2008

Local friends

One of the things that I have discovered from this process is just how very strong a group of friends locally and nationally I have. As with most people, they tend to fall into different groups and categories. One of our little groups is Doris, Michelle, Rick and myself. Michelle is a current coworker of Rick’s. Doris is a retired coworker of Ricks. We get together for birthdays, dinners, and many other excuses throughout the year. Two years ago on my birthday weekend we decided to go to Savannah for two very specific reasons. Mercer House was now available for tours, and I wanted to eat at The Lady & Sons owned by Chef Paula Deen. I’m a Food Network addict and even though her food is hardly heart healthy, eating it one time certainly couldn’t hurt anyone. Typically the line wraps around the building before the restaurant even opens for lunch. There must not have been anything going no in Savannah that weekend. We got there at 11:30 and pretty much we walked right in. She offers a full menu but it was her southern buffet that I wanted. Her fried chicken is amazing and her macaroni and cheese is about the best I’ve ever tasted. We just had a great time exploring Savannah that weekend.

One of the other traditions of this little group is that we have an annual un-Chanukah dinner. Doris holds a traditional one for her family and then serves us one later in the season just because we love the menu – beef brisket that is the tenderest, potato latkes, blinis, and noodle kugel. I look forward to it each year.

No comments: