Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Orange slice correction

A number of people thought when I mentioned orange slices that I was referring to those delicious gumdrop orange slices. I was actually referring to fresh oranges. A couple of people have already brought some in and my sister told me she was sending me some. Although I loooove those, I shouldn't be eating those as a diabetic. When we were small children living in Catonsville, mom would go into Baltimore city to pick up Grandmother to take on trips with us. At the same time, she always picked up Mrs. Bast. Two things I remember clearly about Mrs. Bast - she was such an elegant woman that the cane she used was either glass or lucite - I have no idea - but it was the first one I had ever seen. And she always packed little packages of candy for us children, wrapped up in waxed paper and tied with ribbon. Sometimes it was marshmallows, sometimes multicolored macaroons, and sometimes it was the gumdrop orange slices. When we got home from church we would plead with my mother, "Can we have Mrs. Bast candies? Can we have Mrs. Bast candies?" And this all came back to me when I had the orange slices today.

Scrapple, for those who aren't lucky enough to know - is "pork trimmings, formed into a loaf, and cooled. It is sliced and fried before serving." One that hospital in Washington D.C actually serves scrapple in the cafeteria for breakfast so it is definitely a regional thing.

No comments: