Thursday, June 19, 2008

On the street where we live

While Jim was visiting this weekend he took pictures of the house, the gardens and our general neighborhood. Jacksonville is a beautiful city to live in and Rick and I are fortunate to live in a historic district called Avondale. The neighborhood is architecturally diverse, dating to the 1920s. After having lived in a building across the street from the first railroad terminus in the country in Ellicott City, Maryland - a town dating back to the late 1700’s - a house built in 1924 that is considered historic kind of amuses me. Our particular home is an American style bungalow that Rick originally purchased for the wrap-around porch and the enormous live oak in the back yard. It took me a number of years to translate northern gardening to Florida gardening but both Grandmother and Mom instilled a love of flowers and gardening in me. Each year as I plant our gardens I think of theirs. A few photos follow of the house with some focus on the gardens. The hydrangea on the corner is over twenty-five years old.

There have been times when I went crazy planting the front gardens – one year planting 450 four-inch impatiens in an intricate pattern. While beautiful, I will never do that again. This year I planted borders of red and purple miniature pentas, multiple shades of geraniums with spreading pentas behind them.

(Note: Click any of the following photos for a larger view.)






Here are some photos that show our back yard.




Around the corner from our house are the shoppes of Avondale. The shoppes include six different restaurants including one of our favorites, the Fox, which is just an old-fashioned diner with wonderful food. If you’re not there in time on the weekends you’ll be in a line of 15-20 people waiting to get in.

Another is The Brick which has the closest to Maryland crab cakes that I have found in Jacksonville. The remaining shoppes are a mix that appeal to the ladies who lunch or those looking or something unique from a local specialty shop.




The St. John’s River is a few blocks from our home but and many of the streets have direct access to it. These shots were taken from Edgewood Avenue which is a gracious larger cross street with a park-like median. At the river’s edge you are able to see downtown Jacksonville.




Over the recent years downtown has experienced a bit of revitalization with a number of condo and apartment towers being built and a few shots of downtown are included. All of this is just to give you a sense of where we live.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your house and gardens are absolutely beautiful! I dream of a wrap-around pourch someday-always have wanted one. Thanks for sharing the awesome pictures. Also, I am happy to finally have seen Margo and Simon. Robin

The Boni Family said...

I love the pictures of your home and surroundings. I am soo jealous of the garden. The landscaping is beautiful. I also enjoyed the pictures of your hometown. We are always thinking of you.

Kelli

Anonymous said...

Barry,
I'm sorry to say I just found out about what you have been going through and your courage and outlook are remarkable to say the least. Obviuosly my prayers are with you and they do get answered.

It was great to see the pitures of Jacksonville. I was born at St. Vincent's and my family is from Jax. That usually makes me the only native born Floridian I meet down home.

If you get a chance, go over to Singleton's Seafood Shack in Mayport for me and have some shrimp. They owners are relatives.

Still miss COMMS back here at St. Agnes.

Laurie Davis

Anonymous said...

Dear Barry,

I remember working with you in Jacksonville and having the chance to come to your home and meet Rick and your beloved dog, Dulcie. Your home and garden are beautiful! I remember thinking what a beautiful place it was -- how peaceful and serene. I also have the love of flowers and gardening instilled in me by my mom. I remember as a little girl always being surrounded by the beauty of her work. She had a green thumb through and through and it showed. I remember you planting those 450 Impatiens and what a job that was, but you can never have too many flowers! Your Hydrangea is gorgeous! I’ve tried to plant those here in the heat of the desert, but don’t generally have much luck with them. Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures with all of us.

Maddie