Monday, June 30, 2008

Meet the family

Since I have mentioned many of my family it’s probably time to show you a picture of us all. This is a picture of Mom and Dad’s wedding day. The wedding was performed at our church, St. John’s United Church of Christ in Catonsville. We’re standing in the portico of Overhills Mansion. The picture was taken from inside the main entrance of this 1897 grand home.

After our congregation decided to move to Baltimore County from Baltimore City they purchased this 33 acre estate and used the mansion to serve as a church until we built the new church building. But more on all of that in anther story.

I remember thinking, I have never seen my mother more beautiful in this blue dress, or dad more handsome. All of us are dressed in our best clothes as we start off our lives together.

Back row: Steve, Dad, Mom, Charlotte, Chris
Front row: Barry, Chuck, Tina, Terry

Steve is the oldest and currently lives in Manchester, Maryland with his wife Debbie. Steve is the one who rode down on his motorcycle several weeks ago to visit. Dad is retired from both the Baltimore County Police Department and the Amtrak Police Department, having served 20 years with each organization. Mom did a heck of a job of raising such a large family. Mom and Dad are still living in the house that we grew up in. Charlotte is third oldest and lives in Atlanta with her husband Andrew and her family. She does mission work and is currently in Liberia. She has traveled between the United States and Liberia for a number of years. My sister Chris lives in Catonsville, the same town as my parents, and has just completed 38 years with the federal government. She has purchased a motor home and has chosen to take a well deserved retirement. She and mom drove down in the motor home several weeks ago for a visit.

In the next row is me. I am the middle child, currently living in Jacksonville with Rick, my partner of seventeen years. Next to me is Chuck the next to the youngest. Chuck is currently living in Florida. My sister Tina is six months younger than me so that puts her fifth in age. (Keep in mind, we're a combined family.) Tina currently lives in Westminster Maryland not far from McDaniel College, my alma mater. Tina was down recently for a visit. My youngest brother Terry works for the State of Maryland and resides with Mom and Dad.

Thanks to Chris for sending me this photo last year. It is a treasured keepsake.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful family and a wonderful memory and picture

Doris

Anonymous said...

Hey Barry - boy does that bring back the memories. I would love to have a copy of that picture. Maybe you can get Rick to make me a copy or next time I come down I can make one. We were all so young? By the way, I talked to Charlotte Ann via email and gave her your blog address. Hopefully, you will be hearing from her shortly.

I wish you all the luck in the world tomorrow with your home visit. Hopefully, everything we go according to plan and you can go home real soon. I will be praying and thinking about you. Love you, Tina

Anonymous said...

Hi Barry,

Sure hope you home visit goes well and no reason it would not. Being at home is the most wonderful feeling of well being. Sounds like your physical therapy is progressing well and really there are times when slow is good. You seem to be in a really good facility which is a blessing for sure.

We are enjoying your blog and getting to know about your family. No wonder you are so positive and so much fun; you grew up with so much reinforcement along those lines and how great for all of you that the blended family had so much love to bind bonds and what wonderful parents. My daughters grew up with a step-dad and we were all blessed to have him. He was and still is, always referred to a Dad.

We hope you have a good and safe July 4th and that you get to go home for a very long stay in the next few days. It will be like having Christmas and from the pictures, the garden will be a special place to just enjoy.

By the way, I have a grandson and two great-granddaughters in LaPlata, Md.

Take care
Jacque and George

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.