Thursday, June 12, 2008

Visiting Westminster

Last weekend, blogmaster Jim and my sister Tina both happened to attend a graduation ceremony at McDaniel College – my alma mater. It was hotter than hell due to the unfortunate ineffectiveness of the air handlers. I was texting Jim during the graduation and I told him “Quick, get out of there, get to Hoffman’s.” which reminded me of a visit that I made to Westminster Memorial Day 2007 while working on a project at Providence Hospital in Washington, D.C. I toured the college campus, met blogmaster Jim, blogmaster Nancy, and one of my college roommates, Rolf, at Maggie’s in Westminster for lunch. It’s one of those restaurants that we college students used to go to when we had some extra money to spare, which of course we never did. The photograph that was taken at lunch that day did not flatter us to the point that I would post it on the web. We then stopped at Hoffman’s which is a quintessential ice cream parlor. I hadn’t been to Hoffman’s since graduation my senior year of college and when we walked back in it was as if nothing had changed. My favorite was always the peanut butter ripple and it was still the best damn peanut butter ripple I have ever had.

Before meeting for lunch I had taken the opportunity to go to Emmitsburg to visit the Provincial grounds of the Daughters of Charity, Southeast Province. This is one of the sponsoring organizations of Ascension Health and the place where St. Elizabeth Ann Seton founded her ministry in the United States. The grounds are beautiful, peaceful and tranquil. The original buildings that were there during Mother Seton’s time, while restored and moved, are still in place. I was even able to visit with Sister Camilla Harent, D.C., one of the sisters that I have known my entire time with the organization. I had inquired after her at the Provincial House. They said she was on site that day but they weren’t quite sure where she was. As I was touring I headed toward the gift shop. There was a sister inside in full habit with her back to me. As she turned around I saw immediately it was Sister Camilla. We had a pleasant visit.

No comments: