Friday, June 6, 2008

Therapy

Today was an uneventful day. Treatment-wise I had therapy in the morning but not in the afternoon. I was surprised. It was a quiet day but still I was quite ready to get back into bed after being in a wheelchair for eight hours which can be kind of butt-numbing.

I had a conversation with one of my caregivers tonight probably about 45 minutes. She calls herself Margaret and she is from Sierra Leone. Her real name is Khadija and is a woman who speaks with a wonderful, lilting accent while telling me about her customs, way of life and cuisine. We've come to bond with each other. She is not someone who is just a qualified nursing assistant but a caring individual who takes the time to learn about her patients' needs and their families and what makes them tick. It was a very special 45 minutes of conversation I felt rejuvenated somehow after talking to her and understanding what her life's path has been, how she came to the United States, raising her family, and the community of Sierra Leoneans in Jacksonville that form a very tight community. And, in kind, she listened to me talk about my life, my family, my friends and it was truly just a beautiful moment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry,
It's a lull in venentory and I just read your blog. You would love this book "Consuming Passions"
by Michelle Lee West. It is a novel that traces her family's events and stories realted to the foods and the wacky women that made the dishes special. It also contains many of her family's receipes. Try Amazon. I am on my third copy cause I lend it out and don't get it back---My sister refuses to admit she has it. She's the baby and always gets her way!!!Got to go Judy's cracking the whip!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barry,

A friend sent this to me this past Christmas with a really nice note. I want to pass it on to you. Thinking of you today.

Maddie

Friends

Friends are like flowers –
You can’t have too many!
Some you don’t see around all the time,
but that only makes them seem more special
when they do appear.
Some are best in bunches.
Some you like to enjoy by themselves.
Some are kind of shy and need encouragement.
Some are bold show-offs!!
Some grow even nicer year after year.
Some occasionally get out of hand!
Some are two for a nickel.
Some are worth your last dime.
Some are the hot-house variety that
need a lot of pampering.
Some are hardy perennials you can
always count on to show up.
Some add a festive touch to important occasions.
Some you like to have around all the time.
Some are a comfort when things go wrong –
And such fun when things are right!
Yes, friends are like flowers!
There are dozens of kinds –
old and new ones too.
But the friends who become a lifelong joy
are the special ones – Like you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Barry - I had a blast talking with you last night remembering things that I haven't thought about in years. It made me smile that we could share those memories together. I miss that.

I wanted to give you the dates for my trip down there but if you need me to change them, just let me know - o.k. because I haven't purchased my tickets yet. I was going to leave on Friday, June 20 and come back ton Sunday, June 22 or if I can get Monday off, maybe I can fly back on Monday instead. Whatever is convenient for you because I don't want to inconvenience you in any way.

I am getting ready to go to a graduation at McDaniel's college which I am not looking forward to because it will be long and very hot in there. So when I get home tonight, I will write you again. Miss you and I will talk with you again real soon. Love you, Tina