Thursday, June 5, 2008

Physical therapy update

This morning's session consisted basically of getting dressed which took a lot of effort in order to do. I also had seen myself in the mirror the day before and was horrified to realize I hadn't shaved in five days. So I got myself rolled into the bathroom and all cleaned up.

The afternoon session however, was a completely different story. I have been working with Tai who had been working on leg strengthening. Today Michael joined us, put me into the parallel bars and I walked the length of the parallel bars three times. I would push myself up out of the chair on the count of three, move one leg after the other along the bars, go back into the chair, roll back to the beginning of the parallel bars, and do that two more times. Of course he was supporting me the whole time but the steps were in fact mine. After the first time I collapsed back into the chair in tears of joy because I felt that progress was finally becoming obvious to me. From this point on it can only get better. I am an exhausted but a very happy man tonight. Thanks to everyone for their continued prayers and support. It's what I am thinking of when I am struggling to move one foot after the other.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Barry,

It is so good to hear that the (baby steps) are indeed showing you progress. With your hard work, continued support from friends and family and God, everyone including you knew it was possible. As a side note crabs are $200.00 a bushel. Still keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Hope to see you soon.

Your brother,

Steve

Anonymous said...

Barry,

We all are so proud of your progress! It has been just two weeks since the surgery and you are already showing tremendous progress! Everyone's love, thoughts and prayers are being answered. See you later this morning. I hope this gets posted in the right area!

Rick

Anonymous said...

I happen to be there when Barry came back from afternoon PT and the look on his face was something to see. To say he was elated is an understatement. This is huge! We take walking for granted but Barry has had to work hard for the past 2 weeks. Way to go Barry! Seeing you and the mindset you have inspires me in my daily life. I am sure many others would agree. Keep pushing and know that we are pushing with you!
Scott

Anonymous said...

Dear Barry,

I heard music in those words. What GREAT news. Congratulations on your progress. I am so proud of you!!! Your strong will and all the faith, love, support, and prayers coming your way will get you through this. Angels walk beside you.

Maddie

Anonymous said...

Barry,
It sounds like you are doing extremely well, and I, along with many others, pray for your recovery. You are a fighter, and that's what you must be to recover from these illnesses that many of us seem to be getting. I wanted to send you a quick note, but plan to email you with a more lengthy note, and hopefully attach some px. I remember fondly the long evenings we spent together writing MS4 queries...I always tried to convince people I was just a number cruncher, not an IT person. One thing you wrote in an earlier note about valuing your health couldn't be more true. I learned that hard lesson myself, and now work 32 hours a week instead of my prior 80.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,
Jo Anne