Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A visit to Arizona

Earlier in the year I was fortunate enough to make a trip to Tucson to visit a number of different friends. There's a huge gem and mineral show in Tucson and my blogmaster Jim will frequently go out to enjoy that show. Our friend Tracy lives there too and it seemed a perfect time for me to go out also so I had the opportunity to visit with as many wonderful friends as possible. I saw Elaine who I refer to as ODF for Oldest and Dearest Friend and have known since I was three years old. She and her husband Karl live in the desert.

Elaine's mom, Jane, also lives in the desert in an area immediately adjacent to Elaine and Karl's property. When all of us still lived in Baltimore, we would sometimes gather for games of Michigan Rummy that would go for hours. And on one particularly treat-filled night, we had scrapple from Pennsylvania. For those of us that love scrapple it was a great treat. For others that really didn't have the taste for it, it was an interesting experiment.

Jim is going to post a picture or two that may seem a bit unusual. This is a picture of when we were touring around in an artist's colony called Tubac. When Jim and I were visiting there a number of years earlier, we thought when we saw the sign at the cemetery that there had been a spelling mistake. It took us two years to look up any information about it and found that the spelling on the sign is from the Spanish word for cemetery and is not spelled wrong.

Jim had been able to discover a geocache site (a series of coordinates that you locate using a hand-held GPS unit) where the various clues to the final destination were on the tombstones in the cemetery. We had a great deal of fun working it out and actually were able to solve the puzzle and find the appropriate "treasure".

Our evening in Tubac finished with dinner at a restaurant that has enormous steer skull as the entrance, horns and all. Quite a memorable day.

Here are some photos. You can click on any of them for a larger version.Barry and Elaine in front standing at road markers that match their ages.

In the Tubac Cementery during our geocaching adventure.

Karl, Barry, Elaine, Tracy, and Jim under the correctly spelled Cementery sign.

The Longhorn Grill where we had dinner.

A note to email readers. The photos may not be delivered though email. To see them, visit the blog directly at http://barryw.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barry, I so enjoy reading about your journey. I wish you the best in your recovery efforts. I had to chuckle about the scrapple. I had not heard of scrapple before this last year. My husband is working a year's rotation for Boeing in Philadelphis. We love going out for breakfast on the weekend and we were introduced to scrapple. It's ok, but I grew up with just plain ole fried mush with no pork additives. My husband is leaving Philly in July and heading for Huntington Beach Ca. We will see if they offer any unique breakfast items. My prayers are with you Barry.