Sunday, June 8, 2008

Today

Syrietta is another one of my caregivers at the rehab center and insists on greeting everyone with a big hug. The first thing in the morning she comes in hugs all her patients, asks how we're doing and is just a charming, charming woman to deal with. We laugh and we talk and she is much more than someone who helps take care of me. Actually all of the people here at this facility have been most helpful, most informative, and very caring.

I am planning on getting out of bed a little later this morning. My brother is going to help me do some leg exercises today. Since I won't have had heavy duty rehab for three days, tomorrow is going to be a tough one I'm sure.

I continue to receive a large number of emails and blog comments, cards in the mail, phone calls and I love every single one of them. Please keep them coming. Nothing makes me happier than to wake up in the morning and see numbers on my Blackberry.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Barry,
Keep up the good recovery progress. I will keep you in my thoughts. Carolyn Walker

Anonymous said...

Hi, Barry!

I've been keeping up with your journey and it sounds like you have some awesome caregivers. Your description of Syrietta puts me in mind of Stella from B'ham. She's always so positive & supportive and has a hug for everyone.

Take care,
Virginia H.

PS-Congrats on your 29th anniversary with AH/Daughters.

Anonymous said...

Hi Barry,
Awesome memories!! Your stories are very amazing! I have told you before how astounded I am at your memories--I liked how your grandfather had all of you go pick the ants off the peonies!!Made me laugh! I had a great uncle that did stuff like that to us! He would cover a cow-pie with a cowboy hat prior to us walking up to him. He would have us lift up the hat to see what was under it. Uck! Older relatives and kids! Onery ol cusses if you ask me!
Keep up the good fight!
Gillian

Anonymous said...

Wel, Barry, Grandmothers and Mothers (well some) know that providing food is the essence of the soul and body and we strive to provide that nourishment--we have done our duty to sustain the family.
It is wonderful that you have these great memories--of a modern memory, we have the "un-Channukah"
parties with brisket and potato latkes..yum yum

Doris

Anonymous said...

Barry,
Reading your blog and also the email reminded me of some special childhood moments. I did not have the opportunity to know any grandparents but lived near some special aunts and uncles. I don't remember ever eating anthing special that they made but Aunt Mil would take my brother and me out to a little country store and buy us some thing very special....ice cream sandwiches..no big deal but they were to us. Now when
ever I see one I think of those special times. Congrats on your Ascension anniv...I will be hitting 20 yrs in Nov. I am searching my memory for some of our more interesting business travel experiences.

Hang in There
Jim H

Anonymous said...

Barry,
It is wonderful to read your stories. Thank you for sharing with all of us. I have gained 10lbs just reading them. Isn't it amazing that many of our best times shared with family and friends somehow include a food event - maybe that is where the term "comfort" food began.

When you get home, you will need to share your family recipes especially the peach cake.

Keeping you in my prayers.
Wilma

Anonymous said...

Barry
Your stories of your grandmother brings back so many fond memories. I used to visit my grandma in New Orleans in the summer. We did the so many fun things. Life was simple back then. Now I am a grandpa and want to spend time with the kids. Of course there are no 15cent ice cream sandwiches! Keep those stories coming!
Scott A.