Monday, June 23, 2008

Physical therapy update

Today in therapy, many of the usual exercises and a few additional ones. I practiced standing again and this time I stood for the first time for 2 min 53 seconds and the second time for 2 minutes 46 seconds. We also did an exercise like knee dips. From a standing position I would bend my knees, bend my elbows, and then pull myself back up to a standing position. I was able to do two sets of ten. We also did some medicine ball exercises sitting on the edge of a platform practicing balance, the medicine ball being thrown to me and thrown back. This was to test balance and reaction. A twist was added. When I would catch the ball I would pivot as far as possible to the left or right and from that position throw the ball back to the therapist. In another new one today a patient table would be placed in front of me. The therapist would place their foot at a given position. I would push the table to that point to test my ability to extend and bend over. They would move their foot further away to see how far I could bend and extend. The last was a new Wii game called Boxing Training. For those of you that recall with horror Dodge ball from elementary school, what this really resembled was someone throwing a ball at you and you needed to react to duck it. Unfortunately I felt like I was back in elementary school. I was hit more times than I was missed. At one point multiple balls were being thrown at a time. That was the end of therapy today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Barry - just wanted to drop you a quick note. We have the Wii system here at my Nursing facility. We let the residents use it for entertainment and also for rehab. One of the games we have that is popular is the Wii Bowling Game. Our residents and staff actually had a team competition against another facility in our area. We had a big trophy made for the event. Our residents actually won the tournament and got to keep the trophy here at our facility at least for this year. Next year when we compete again - who knows. I of course didn't compete because I am a terrible bowler and they would have lost the trophy for sure but I do hear that the more you practice with the Wii systems - the better you get. My Director of Nursing has a system at his home and he plays against Tiger Woods every night and has actually won - only once - but he was so excited. It's a great toy and a great rehab tool also.

Good Luck in rehab. today and I will talk to you tonight. Love you, Tina