Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chemotherapy / Physical Therapy Update

Once again, no negative reaction to chemotherapy. I slept well last night and felt strong in physical therapy.

In physical therapy today I continued standing practice and was able to stand for 3 minutes 45 seconds today. I did twenty minutes on the mechanical bike for arms and my regular weight routine. I did manual foot bicycling today – this is the same piece of equipment that is used for arm biking – a set of pedals and a stand – but this is the first time that I had done any leg or foot biking that was not mechanically assisted. I was able to apply forward and backward rotational pressure with both legs equally. It was not only the left leg driving. The right leg was also participating. So while the right leg continues to lag, there is function there.

The last new exercise was to remove my legs from the wheelchair foot rests and to move myself across the floor in the chair with my legs. I was able to do this easily in reverse with both legs on tile. This of course would involve placing the foot on the floor and pushing backwards. Moving forward I’m currently only able to do with the left leg. Digging the heel on the floor, pulling forward, stopping and repeating so as not to let momentum move me but make my legs move me. I currently cannot move forward with my right leg.

My blood pressure continues to be perfect every time it is taken. My sugar is well controlled and blood work continues to be normal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barry, you are doing great! Keep up the good work and strong positive attitude. One day at a time, just one day at a time. Love ya. Steve C.