Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mary Poppins

I am trying to move forward in many of my memory stories but there still are so many childhood ones that are worth remembering. In a family of seven kids, there’s always likely to be someone who is sick – a cold, a stomach ache, or chicken pox or measles. Grandmother Schuhart planned to take my sisters out one Saturday for a trip to downtown Baltimore. Serendipitously, one of my sisters (I believe it was Charlotte) was not feeling well that day and so I got to go as the substitute. The special trip that day was to see Mary Poppins at the Hippodrome – one of those huge old time theaters. Grandmother also took us to lunch at the one of the local department stores, either Hutzler’s or Hochschild Kohn’s, both long since shuttered or absorbed by Macy’s. We also went to the candy store where Grandmother would always stock up on those special candies that only grandmothers seem to have. It was a day to remember. So thanks, Charlotte, for being sick that day.

No comments: