Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hospital experiences

A number of people were surprised that I ended up being admitted to Baptist instead of one of the two Ascension Health hospitals in Jacksonville - St. Vincent's or St. Luke's. The reason is pure and simple. Very specific physicians and surgeons that I needed practice at Baptist.

As a matter of fact, today to the day I complete 29 years of employment with Ascension Health and its predecessor organizations. June 4, 1979 was when I first walked through the doors of Daughters of Charity Eastern Cooperative Services Information Systems Division. Oddly enough, the acronym for this is DOCECSISD which, if you attempt to pronounce, is "deceased"! It has been my complete joy to work for this faith-based organization for all these years. While not a Catholic myself, the sisters were very intentional about ensuring the legacy of their ministry of healing the sick and the poor. So it really gets in the blood. When I was first admitted to the Baptist facilities I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I was comforted to understand that there are other organizations that take their mission and their values just as seriously. I felt as if I actually was in an Ascension Health facility. Every caregiver that I came in contact with I would ask, "Is this a job for your or is this a calling?" to a person, they said, "This is much, much more than just a job. Our role is to heal not just the body but the spirit and the mind." And I'm finding the same to be true at Heartland, the rehab facility. We all have our unique ways of carrying out our mission but I have been blessed to discover that the mission is everywhere.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken and I purchased 1.5 gallons of Fisher's popcorn for you this evening and you should receive it along with a beach article and photo of me as "Mae West" by Tuesday.

I walked from the White House to the Capitol steps for the passage of the Handicapped Act and was invited by for the first five years afterwards to makr the anniversary. At that time, I didn't need a curb cut. Thank about that. We worked over twenty years to get the lead out of drinking water. And on and on it went and still goes. The passage of 94-142 which required an educational program for all students.

Tina is coming to the beach this month with her daughter. That Sunday, I've been selected to give the first reading. Until now, I've only been considered appropriate to be a greeter. Ken did the prayers of the people this past Sunday. Same profile for him. Amazing. Both of us did all the requirements for the Order of St. Luke, a healing ministry, and were never asked to do that service. Well, immediately prior to leaving Florida, we were asked to cover Aunt Naomithe Saturday evening mass twice a month. We cover the greeting station twice a month for the Sunday 10 a.m. service. We were asked to give a presentation about the greeting work to the new ushers as part of their training.

By the way, my best Baltimore girlfriend, is going to Tiza this summer. We have a very active Tiaz program and weekly contemplative prayer activity.

I can't phone you tomorrow because we are being up by the senior bus and taken to a senior health fair and then to Walmart's. You and I will be tired by the time Ken and I return in the afternoon.

Love,

Aunt Naomi

Anonymous said...

Gees Barry, no wonder you were tired yesterday - I was tired just reading about all you did. I'm thrilled you are getting feeling back in your tummy - that is great news. As you know I'm originally from PA and I gotta say - Scrapple "YUCK POO". Keep up the good work. Linda

JimD said...

While I hate the idea that you have to have needles in the abdomen, I'm glad that that feeling is coming back. That's a really good sign.

I was checking on things today and I see that there are now 130 people who have subscribed to get email updates of your blog posts. In addition to that, people have viewed the blog itself 693 times in the past week. I'm not competitive, as you know (!) but my blog didn't get half as many visits in its busiest week when I was sick last fall. A lot of people are pulling for you.

I'm wishing and praying for your continued progress, that the insurance company comes across without making you jump through more hoops, that the treatments and therapies aren't too tiring, and that I really will be able to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Dear Barry, you have truly touched the lives of many, many people. I am so lucky to call you my friend.

Maddie

Anonymous said...

Barry, I've been meaning to call you! :-)

Wow, 29 years and I know that you've really enjoyed the work you've done with Ascension. Those of us that have known you and worked with you for a great many of those years have grown from having that experience! Heck, even that drive in Boston going the wrong way down that one-way street was fun!

I had no idea that you did geocaching. Dave got a GPS about four years ago for Chrismas andthe goal was for him to do some geocaching because he loves to hike aroud. Unfortunately, he has never figured it all out. It sounds like lots of fun to me. The fact that you did research on that Cementary sign was pretty entertaining, but then again, you are entertaining.

Sounds like you're putting your usual 200+ percent into your PT, with good results. It is undoubtedly exhausting but if anyone can do it, you can. You have more drive that 10 people put together.

Dave and I just got back from a trip to Arizona. Since the gas prices were high we figured now was the time to go see Lake Powell, the Grand Canyon and all the other fabulous sights there. I think $3.99/gallon was the most we paid...yuck! After that we went to a tea convention in Las Vegas to learn more about tea so we could totally impress the customers that come to Teas 'N You, our tea room just north of SLC.

I'm so glad that you're pleased with the loving care that you're receiving there at Baptist. That makes such a difference, doesn't it.

You will be in all of my prayers and I'll think of you often.
Hugs, Nan'r