Monday, June 2, 2008

Update from Heartland

This morning I had my first real PT session. They did assist me in getting dressed in my room so I’m wearing clothes that Rick and Wendy picked up at Target for me yesterday. They did need to use equipment to lift me into the chair, but took me down to the gym, where we spent about an hour doing hand biking and multiple repetitions of cardio weight exercises.
I’m now back in my room, still in the chair, and I will be having my radiation therapy this afternoon. Then later this afternoon I will have another PT session in the room, just focusing on legs.

Apparently I’m authorized for a week here so far, and reassessment will of course take place along the way.
A number of friends continue to stop by for visits which are greatly appreciated. It does brighten the day. I’m going to start doing some reading of some books that one of my good friends Leslie recommended that are actually Baltimore-themed, the books by Laura Lippman. I’m starting with “Butcher’s Hill” today. Sue also had left me a nice book of reflections and inspirations.
I’ve put a few memory stories out here and other people have been responding back in kind. Some of the stories have made me laugh and they’ve reminded me of wonderful times, so please keep those e-mails and blog comments coming. Everyone reacts to these situations differently. Whatever your reaction, and however it’s used to communicate, it is appreciated. There are times that I feel absolutely fine, responding on my Blackberry, but there will be other times that I’m not up to responding to your comments, and I’ll simply be reading your comments and taking them to heart. But please understand that I’m seeing all of your direct e-mails and blog responses. They greatly, greatly brighten my day.
Someone brought to my attention yesterday that my home address has not been posted here yet. That address is 3650 Pine St., Jacksonsville, Fla., 32205.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Barry, George and I were planning of seeing you at Baptist last evening (Sunday) but found out that you had moved and congratulations. That is a positive thing for you and hope it goes well. Certainly sounds good with strength increasing. I had not written down the blog address but have it now.

Glad you find the facility pleasant and of course the hope is that you will graduate from there to home soon.

George and I will stop by one afternoon on the way home and at least try our best to bore you with the exciting life we have in our world of cat, dogs and general mundane nothingness but we laugh a lot and hope you will as well.

Continue to improve-we have work for you to do. Take care and see you later

Anonymous said...

Well Barry, I do remember those days of rehab and those people are determined to make you move around and be active--no more of this lying around and watching Regis and Kelly--They are like the marines--up and out!!! But it is good for you and it sounds as if you are doing better. I see that today that Teddy Kennedy is on the same chemo as you--well--it must be top of the line chemo--I am glad that you are at rehab--good for your progress and I don't have to get trapped on the 2nd level of the parking lot of BMC--see you soon--Love Doris

Anonymous said...

Hey Barry - I got on without any problem tonight. Thanks for helping me. I talked to my friends at ManorCare and they said your facility is one of the best in your area. The rehab team is also very good and they will work you but you know what they say "No rest for the weary". What I tell my patients is to ask for pain medicine an hour before going to rehab so that they can work with the therapists without the pain to stop them. Believe me - when I was taking rehab 3x a week, after getting hit by the car, I definitely took my motrin before going to rehab. I know you will do well but it will be hard work and hopefully you can leave there and go home with home health.

You mentioned orange slices - they are my absolute favorite. I will pick some up for you and send them to you. Besides chocolate (which I can't have because of my migranes) I think orange slices and tweezlers are the only candy I ever eat.

I talked to Aunt Noami and she is in Delaware for the summer and I gave her this address so she can write you. She says next summer she is going to stay in Florida until June instead of coming up in May. She says it is still too cold up here for her and Florida is mild right now. She prefers the mild to cold and rainy. I'm going to go down and visit her probably around the 14th of this month. She loves to have me come down because I go bike riding with her and shopping - 2 things she really loves to do.

I've talked to a few of my close friends that might email you but they will let you know who they are when they email you so you don't wonder. Also a bunch of my social workers/case managers might also be sending you their well wishes too. I emailed Charlotte Ann too so maybe she will email you.

I would love to fly down and see you so you let me know when I can come down and I will be there.

Take care and stay positive and I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts. Love you, Tina

Anonymous said...

Barry -

Hello from Southern Indiana! Sorry, I haven't responded sooner. We just arrived back from a vacation in Door County, WI. The weather was beautiful, but the mosquitos (the state bird) were awful.

I wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you and a successful recovery. I will ask Scott for your phone number and give you a call this week.

Take care,
Sondra